Top Menu

Facebook Fun

Facebook IconHave you implemented a Facebook plan yet?  I’ve heard a number of marketers say that Facebook has become their #1 source of traffic lately so felt it was time to dig in a little more deeply.  To that end, I have recently run a couple of experiments and found a couple of new tools for Facebook that I’m excited to share with you.

You’ve probably been hearing about the benefits of Facebook Ads from most of your network lately.  I know that I certainly have been however, until a couple of weeks ago, I hadn’t yet tried them,  I now have and am very happy to report that Facebook Ads are as great as ‘they‘ say they are!

I started with a brand new Facebook page a couple of weeks ago, and very quickly put together an ad to test.  Keep in mind that this was a new page with absolutely no traffic. I wanted to test the ad in isolation so didn’t promote the page in any other way prior to running the ad.

The first thing I really liked was being able to select a specific demographic for the ad.  That is super powerful!  Even better were the results.  I threw $5 at the ad (as a quick test, I didn’t see the need to throw much more at it), and (drum roll please)…had my first like within 30 minutes of clicking ‘go’.  It may have been even sooner but I honestly wasn’t watching it that closely.

The second thing I liked was the cost, or lack thereof.  As you may have picked up, I was able to get first results with a mere $5.  I’ll admit to going through that initial pot fairly quickly the first evening but just as quickly added equal “Likes” to my page.  Facebook Ads produced results for pennies on the dollar  when compared with either Google Adwords or the Ad Center (Bing/Yahoo).

Additionally, if you can get the CTR on your Facebook Ads to .1%, Facebook will allow a switch to CPM which would be significantly less expensive yet.  I for one, am sold on Facebook Ads, at least while they remain so incredibly cost effective.

My second experiment was surrounding opt-ins for my new “Like” page.  I first relied solely upon the posts and links on the FB page to drive traffic to my blog.  I was getting a few opt-ins here and there but the biggest news came from adding a double opt-in landing page.  Now when people come from the ad, they land on a 2 step opt-in page; step one asks them to click the “Like” button and step 2 asks them to opt-in to my blog for their free gift.   Again, within 30 minutes I had a new “Like” and a new opt-in to my list and the first day more than doubled my opt-ins.   Super powerful!  So much so that I may just write up a separate post stepping through this one.

Onward and upward.  Also during my Facebook play, I’ve learned about two new tools that I’d like to share, at least they were new for me.  The first is Facebook’s “Advanced Search 2.2 Beta”.  You can add this app to your page and open an entirely new, extremely powerful world of search to your Facebook site.  Advanced Search allows you to search for groups, pages, people, bands etc., by different categories (e.g. health, sports etc.), interests and/or demographic to quickly find other like-minded folks.

The second app that I learned about this week is “Marketplace”.  If you have products to sell, this is a very cool app that lets you create a listing of your products for sale and reach even more people.  I would encourage you to explore this one if you are selling products, even if they are affiliate products.

As you can probably tell, it was a fun and productive week for me on Facebook and now I wonder, how many of you have tried similar experiments and what were your results?  If you haven’t tried yet, do you plan to?  Please leave a comment and let us know your thoughts.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

, ,

90 Responses to Facebook Fun

1. Social Media Vanessa October 22, 2010 at 9:14 pm #

Linnea:

I’ve definitely been toying with the idea of trying out the facebook ads. I have been a bit hesitant because everything I was hearing was coming from big-name marketers. But, with you test of a brand new page and still getting great results, I might just jump in and give them a shot.

Thanks for a great post. I look forward to reading more.

Live with passion and purpose,
    Vanessa
    Social Media Vanessa recently posted..The New Twitter – Love It Or Hate ItMy Profile

2. Mike Pedersen October 23, 2010 at 5:46 am #

Facebook is something I play with but have not ever seen an increase in business transactions. Tried the advertising, as well as the relationship approach with people, but IMO people do not want to discuss business on FB. They want to discuss personal and build friendships. It’s a powerful tool, but it has it’s limits IMO.

Regards,
    Mike
    Mike Pedersen recently posted..What’s Your Brand Say About Your BusinessMy Profile

3. Nat October 24, 2010 at 4:26 am #

Hey Linnea

Congratulations on your success with FB ads, I also love them! And they can literally be used by anyone regardless of your budget.
    Thanks for sharing your results and information, best of luck with your marketing in the future, its great to see people testing and trying new things and working out what works best for them :-)
    cheers
    Nat

4. Peter Fuller MBA October 24, 2010 at 8:40 am #

Thanks so much Linnia, great tips for Facebook

I really like the advanced search tool.

Now I need to get a Page up and some ads going :)

Peter
    Peter Fuller MBA recently posted..Can You Admit When You Make A MistakeMy Profile

5. belinda cunningham October 27, 2010 at 10:36 pm #

HI Linnea
    Thanks for this post, my lack of knowledge re facebook lost me a bit but has motivated me a little to do a bit more with facebook. I particularly liked the strategy you implemented with an optin and a landing page. Am going to go and check out what you were talking about on your facebook page.
    belinda
    belinda cunningham recently posted..6 Organised planning The crystallisation of desire into action part 1My Profile

6. Linnea October 27, 2010 at 10:49 pm #

Hi Belinda,
    I’ll try to send you the facebook page… I implemented this strategy on a new one (not on linneakline) but on LovelifeAfter50.com. You have such a great blog going on, I would think that trying this might be even more beneficial for you. Best of luck with it.

7. Linnea October 27, 2010 at 10:53 pm #

Hi Vanessa,
    I would definitely encourage you to give it a try. It can’t really hurt and the price point is so good you can turn it on for a few days and see what happens, then turn it off if it doesn’t/isn’t working for you. Yes, the big boys all seem to be coming out with Facebook programs right now but I would say that just means be careful not to irritate Facebook with your own attempts. It can still work very well for you.

8. Linnea October 27, 2010 at 10:57 pm #

Hi Mike,
    I believe that if your focus on Facebook is on building relationships (versus business) that in turn, will build your list which ultimately will build your business. I don’t think that it’s necessarily a straight shot to business because as you say, Facebook is intended for social use, not business. It’s really just a great networking tool.

9. Linnea October 27, 2010 at 10:59 pm #

Hi Nat,

How great to see you! I’m glad to hear that you’ve also tried FB ads. What fun they are! and thank you for your well wishes. I too, wish you well with your business. I’m looking forward to ad swaps with you one day soon. Have a great week!

10. Linnea October 27, 2010 at 11:03 pm #

Hi Peter,

Well, yes, I’d say you do need to get a Facebook page up and going. You have a natural source for your initial fans from TSA which will get you going and with a little help from ads, you can take off from there. Best of luck with your page (let me now if you want any help setting it up) and let us know when it is up so we can all go “like” it!

11. Wendy Hewlett October 28, 2010 at 2:00 pm #

Hi Linnea,

So many great tips in this post! I’ve been playing around with Facebook Ads myself and I’m impressed with the results. I didn’t know about the advanced search app or the marketplace app, so I will be looking into both of them.
    Thanks for sharing all of these great tips!

Wendy
    Wendy Hewlett recently posted..Network Marketing Leadership TrainingMy Profile

12. Gary Young China Sourcing October 30, 2010 at 9:35 pm #

Linnea,

Facebook definitely started out as a completely social environment. But over the years, it has grown so much. Now, we have the chance to do business through it and the advertising is a very important part of that. Thanks for the post.

13. Dan Johnson/TSA November 4, 2010 at 7:20 am #

Great blog and I’ve been looking at the face-book advertising myself but haven’t gotten my feet wet as of yet. Glad to hear that you’re having much success. Will fB let you run a network marketing type ad or is it mostly for selling a tangible product?

14. Dr. Adam Sheck November 4, 2010 at 11:29 am #

Linnea,
    Thanks for some great info on FB. I think I tried out FB Ads maybe a year ago under free promo, but didn’t really know what I was doing at the time. Thanks for reinspiring me. Love your new fanpage (over 50), though I still haven’t figured out how to select which tab will open when someone goes to the page depending upon whether a fan or not.
    Adam
    Dr. Adam Sheck recently posted..Do You REALLY Want A Better RelationshipMy Profile

15. Roland Bonay November 5, 2010 at 3:16 pm #

Hi Linnea,

I’ve been tempted to run a Facebook Ad for a long time. Your post pushed me over the precipice and I plan to post my first ad in just a little while (or tomorrow–whichever comes first). I’ll come back and share the results. I would love to read a post by you on the opt-in feature. You have a way of writing that is straight forward and easy to understand. I look forward to your next post.

Roland
    Roland Bonay recently posted..Four Basic HungersMy Profile

16. Howie Perks November 6, 2010 at 11:51 am #

Hi Linnea,

First, congrats on your success with the FB ads!

I too, like them as well and they are most defiantly more affordable than Google. Also, they add a crucial element in social proof when you keep your ad viewers staying within the site.

In Success,
    Howie Perks
    Howie Perks recently posted..Magic Submitter Reviewed – How Magic is It ReallyMy Profile

17. Lani Kee November 7, 2010 at 9:42 pm #

Aloha Linnea, good to hear you got your feet wet and sharing it with others. Keep it going and I hope you get more abundant results from it. thanks for sharing! Lanikee.com :)

PS..come by and share a sweet comment. The benefits are sharing is caring. Mahalo!
    Lani Kee recently posted..Comment on Do Online Commentators Give Backlinks And PR Support by Lani KeeMy Profile

18. Ruth McCrackin November 8, 2010 at 9:01 pm #

Hi Belinda, Awesome author, you know how to put the twist I need to hear on social media FaceBook. Thank you for this is very beneficial and I am sharing it with everyone I know, since this is valuable and truly fun as well!!

Much Success,

Ruth M.
    Ruth McCrackin recently posted..Goal Setting WorksheetMy Profile

19. Melodie Kantner November 9, 2010 at 12:24 pm #

Hi Linnea,

Thanks for writing this blog post. I have been thinking about using Facebook ads for an Ebook I am writing. Your post has helped me make the decision to go ahead when I am ready to release the book.
    Melodie Kantner recently posted..How Cows Make Me Smile And Motivate Me For SuccessMy Profile

20. Linnea November 9, 2010 at 3:58 pm #

Hi Wendy,

So glad you too, are getting some good results. I certainly was / am impressed with the possibilities.
    I do hope you find the other apps to be useful as well. You may also want to check out Facebook Fans.
    You are more than welcome…enjoy!

21. Linnea November 9, 2010 at 4:06 pm #

Hi Gary,

Agreed! Facebook really has become a giant and only continues it’s pattern of growth. I think that Facebook is going to become a vital part to every business as they continue to expand in the search arena. It will be very interesting to watch.

22. Linnea November 9, 2010 at 4:11 pm #

Hi Dan,

I think that you can run any type of ad you would like to run however, there is an ad approval process in place so if they don’t like where you are going with it, it may not be approved. The test that I ran pointed to a Facebook Fan page so it was a win-win for them. If I’m not mistaken, I’ve actually seen network marketing type ads on the site. You should be good to go. (btw – found your comment in my spam folder…do you get that a lot?)

23. Linnea November 9, 2010 at 4:21 pm #

Hi Adam,

You are so very welcome. I enjoyed the test with FB Ads and will definitely do that more of that in the future. I would encourage you to give it another shot. I’m so glad that you like the new page (thanks again). Interesting question you have on tab direction depending upon whether or not a fan. I know you can protect some information for ‘fans only’ but this is different. I’ll have to look into that one for you. Perhaps the makings of a post!

24. Linnea November 9, 2010 at 4:34 pm #

Hi Roland,

I would definitely encourage you to try FB ads. They are so cost effective that it won’t even set you back to play a little and see what it can do for you and by all means, please do come back and share. I’d love to hear about your experience and results. I’d also be more than happy to write up a post about the opt-in feature. It looks like it could prove to be a very valuable tool as well.

25. Linnea November 9, 2010 at 4:40 pm #

Thanks, Howie!

Not only did it work but it was fun and yes, I agree, most definitely more affordable than Google. I’m glad to hear that you like them, too. That tells me that you too, had success with them so congrats to you on that! Best of luck and all the success to you!

26. Linnea November 9, 2010 at 4:51 pm #

Aloha back at you, Lani.
    It was fun! and I’ll definitely do it some more so no worries there. I expect to get even more abundant results as the next time, I’ll be testing multiple ads and will take more care putting them together. That should produce even better results. I will most definitely be stopping by soon.

27. Linnea November 9, 2010 at 4:58 pm #

Hi Ruth,

A million thanks! I love hearing that I’m adding value for someone! You are so very welcome and I hope to give you much, much more. I appreciate your sharing and wish you much success as well.

28. Linnea November 9, 2010 at 5:00 pm #

Hi Melodie,

You’re welcome. I’m happy to hear that you’ve decided to venture forth because I’m confident that you will gain from the experience. Congrats on your ebook. I’ll keep my eyes peeled for it.

29. Nancy Burke Barr, JD November 14, 2010 at 9:32 am #

Hey There Linnea!

I thought that I was not interested in FB advertising, but you are making it sound really appealing! I hope that you will expand this article with more details and “How To”. I might just take the leap! YIKES!

Mentor Mama
    Nancy Burke Barr, JD recently posted..HOME BASED BUSINESS OPPORTUNITY- “Honesty and Common Sense”My Profile

30. Robin November 14, 2010 at 12:49 pm #

Linnea,
    Great job of outlining a good Facebook strategy. You’ve included a number of really helpful tips. Looks like you’ve also inspired a number of others to follow your path….

Thanks so much for sharing your information!
    Robin
    Robin recently posted..Sell What People Want- Not What They NeedMy Profile

31. Beth Allen November 19, 2010 at 11:43 am #

Thanks for these great ideas and for sharing your successes with us, Linnea! It is high on my list to get my welcome page finished with the double opt-in ~ I have heard many people say they get WAY more opt-ins from FB than their blogs. Once done, I will definitely give it a go with the ad!

I’ve never heard about the apps ~ I’ll have to check them both out, thanks again!
    Beth Allen recently posted..The Power of AppreciationMy Profile

32. Deborah A. Ten Brink November 19, 2010 at 7:09 pm #

Hi, Linnea:

It sound like Facebook has been a fun and rewarding project for you! I have been thinking about Facebook ads for awhile now. Thank you for your post and revealing the results you’ve achieved.

Deborah
    Deborah A. Ten Brink recently posted..“Is Your Blog Boring”My Profile

33. rebeccahappy November 19, 2010 at 7:55 pm #

I love it when people test what they are doing and then share it. This concept is a huge shift in thought process for me. You have described your experiment with wonderful clarity and simplicity. When I am ready to try it out I will certainly be back here reading this a second time around.
    rebeccahappy recently posted..Business Marketing Tactics and TipsMarketing Minute LaunchMy Profile

34. Dr. Adam Sheck November 20, 2010 at 12:25 pm #

LInnea,
    I re-read this post and have TOTALLY redone my fb fanpage “welcome” page thanks to you. Also, I figured out the setting to have non-fans open to the welcome page and once they “like” the page, they go to the wall. If you get a chance, would love your feedback on it (http://facebook.com/passiondoctor).
    Thanks,
    Adam
    Dr. Adam Sheck recently posted..Relationship Tip- Don’t Talk So Much!My Profile

35. Golda Smith November 20, 2010 at 8:38 pm #

Hi Wendy and Linnea. This was a great post. I’m not familiar with the apps that you mentioned but have made a note to get myself up to speed with them. Facebook is a wonderful and economic spot to get some targeted leads. I’m redoing my like page landing opt in box. Thanks again for the very helpful information.

Golda
    Golda Smith recently posted..Social Media Marketing Tip 26- How To Select Your YouTube Channel NameMy Profile

36. kebabope November 21, 2010 at 7:17 am #

Hi Linnea,
    Great applications right there,haven’t started with facebook ads but will definitely consider this two supercool apps when I start, it must be fun.lol Thanks again.

To your unlimited success,
    ~Kebabope
    kebabope recently posted..Finding The Right ProspectsMy Profile

37. Linnea November 26, 2010 at 12:58 pm #

Hi Nancy,
    It really was great fun to do as well. I know that everyone is talking about FB ads these days and that will, in and of itself, create a changing environment but if we pay attention to FB terms, the ads should provide great results. I’m more than happy to add more detail and “How To”. Stay tuned.

38. Linnea November 26, 2010 at 1:00 pm #

Hi Robin,
    Thank you and you are most welcome. The experiment was also fun to do and I’m looking forward to the next round. I’ll let everyone know about that when I have the results.
    Thanks for stopping by!

39. Linnea November 26, 2010 at 1:02 pm #

Hi Beth,

You are quite welcome. I agree with what you’ve been hearing…I’m yet another for you list of folks who get way more FB opt-in than blog opt-ins and will say that the double opt-in works well. I’ve also since learned about a few more apps and will be sharing those as well.

40. Linnea November 26, 2010 at 1:06 pm #

Hey Rebecca,

I’m glad you enjoyed my post. I enjoyed not only doing the experiment but writing about it as well and look forward to sharing round 2 with you. Round 2 will be more comprehensive and I’m already excited to learn the results. I look forward to your return.

41. Linnea November 26, 2010 at 1:11 pm #

Hi Adam,

So great to see this! I did go visit your page, liked it and was taken to your wall. A little something for you to consider is that when folks click and go to your wall, they are taken away from your blog opt-in…If they get to reading all your great content on your wall, they may forget to go back to the welcome tab to get your gift. Otherwise, Adam, it really looks terrific! Congrats on doing that.

42. Linnea November 26, 2010 at 1:14 pm #

Hey Golda,

Glad to hear you are working on your landing opt-in and hope it provides great results for you. I’ll be sharing more information about a couple more apps soon. You are right about FB being very economical which should also mean that is is within reach for many start ups.

43. Linnea November 26, 2010 at 1:16 pm #

Hi Kebabope,

Indeed it is fun, great fun and I’m excited to do more of it. If you do decide to give it a try some day, I hope you have as much fun with it as I did. Thanks for stopping by and commenting.

44. Linnea November 26, 2010 at 1:21 pm #

Hi Deborah,
    Yes, indeed, FB has been a fun project. I’ll be taking my next experiment up a level and if the results are what I think they may be, FB will likely be a very important part of overall plan. btw – your comment landed in my spam folder for some reason.

45. Jill Caldwell November 26, 2010 at 4:34 pm #

Thanks Linnea for the nice FB tips. I’m encouraged to hear your positive results with the FB ads and how to incorporate your like page. I’m looking forward to trying a few of your suggestions.
    Thanks,
    JillC

46. Sue Collier December 3, 2010 at 2:11 am #

Hi Linnea,

Wow thanks for some great ideas! Certainly didn’t realise you could get started with Facebook ads with so little money! And the applications you talk about could be very helpful.

Right, now to schedule some time on Facebook, lol:-)

Thanks so much

Sue
    Sue Collier recently posted..Network Marketing Home Business – Don’t Take Failure Lying Down!My Profile

47. John Gaydon December 3, 2010 at 3:03 am #

Wow Linnea,

You ahve convinced me to get cracking on Facebook Ads. I didn’t do all the fancy trainings, but I am keen to figure it out and get some ads up. Your post is inspiring. I guess I had better get going on my Facebook Pages!
    John Gaydon recently posted..How To Get More Customers For Your Network Marketing BusinessMy Profile

48. Rick Salas December 3, 2010 at 6:40 pm #

Hi Linnea,
    I have been using Advanced search Beta 2.2 with great results but I have not tried Marketplace yet. Thanks for all these fantastic tips. I will use them for sure!

Rick
    Rick Salas recently posted..How To Get Ahead In A Home Based Business Right NowMy Profile

49. Linnea December 7, 2010 at 9:38 am #

Hi Jill,
    Thanks for your comment.
    You are very welcome and I hope you have as much fun as I did trying them out.

50. Linnea December 7, 2010 at 9:47 am #

Hi Sue,
    That’s in part, why I wrote the post, to let others know how very affordable it can be to implement. Hope you have great fun and get some good results. I hope you come back and let us know how it works for you.